Do you love researching mission driven businesses and the best low waste lifestyle products? Are you passionate about building mutually beneficial partnerships and collaborative opportunities that add value to the community?
Are you obsessed with keeping things organized and loooove a good color-coordinated spreadsheet?
Want to work with a supportive, fun team on a mission to normalize zero waste shopping and create a sustainable future?
Perhaps you’re right for our open position as a Store Manager.
*We are looking to hire Store Managers for both our Kirkland and Renton locations, or possibly one person to act as General Manager for both*
Scoop Marketplace is a zero waste grocery store in Kirkland, WA with a second location in Renton, WA. It is an innovative business focused on normalizing zero waste grocery shopping. We sell a variety of bulk food, personal care products, and home goods that enable a sustainable lifestyle. By eliminating the need for disposable packaging, we are significantly reducing our environmental impact while saving our customers time and money. As we teach our community to waste less and live more, we are improving the quality of our lives while learning to walk more gently on the planet.
We are looking for an experienced Store Manager to oversee the daily operations of our store. You will be the one to ensure smooth running of operations to maximize sales and minimize cost, while maintaining the environmental integrity of our community and upholding our commitment of sustainability to our customers.
The ideal candidate will have the experience as a store manager and knowledge of diverse business subjects such as sales, marketing, sustainability, etc. An effective retail manager will also be able to motivate personnel to perform according to their maximum capacity.
In this role you will serve as the inventory and sourcing coordinator, while building valuable partnerships with our vendors and other businesses and organizations whose values align with ours. You will manager our shop team by coordinating schedules, partnering with our management team to hire new employees, and carrying out training and onboarding systems. During your regular shifts in the shop you will hear firsthand how our customers are experiencing the products that we carry, what questions they have about them, and what products & services we can improve or introduce to better meet their needs.
We are looking for someone who is committed to providing a consistently excellent customer experience, who manages different projects with ease, and has exceptional communication skills. We expect everyone on our team to be leaders in their role with a foundation in our values of sustainability, connection, and education.
HOW YOU WILL PARTNER WITH US:
Organizing all store operations and allocating responsibilities to personnel
- Supervising and guiding staff towards maximum performance
- Preparing and controlling the store’s budget, aiming for minimum expenditure and maximum efficiency
- Setting and communicating sales goals while encouraging team members to come up with creative strategies to meet them while serving our customers to their highest ability
- Monitor stock levels and purchases and ensure they stay within budget
- Deal with complaints from customers to maintain the store’s reputation
- Inspect the areas in the store and resolve any issues that might arise
- Work with management team to plan promotional events
- Oversee in-store promotional events or displays
- Keep abreast of market trends to determine the need for improvements in the store
- Analyze sales and revenue reports and make forecasts
- Ensure the store fulfills all legal health and safety guidelines
- Complete store operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees, and following up in work results
- Work with management team to recruit and select new employees
- Train new employees
- Maintain team job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring and appraising job results
- Work with the management team to prepare an annual budget, schedule expenditures, & analyze variances to achieve financial objectives. Initiate corrective actions as necessary.
- Identify current and future customer requirements by establishing rapport with the community.
- Review merchandising activities to determine sales promotion. Authorize clearance sales and study retail trends.
- Protect employees and customers by providing a safe and clean store environment.
- Work with management team to determine marketing strategy changes by reviewing operating and financial statements and departmental sales records
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Monitor and analyze the environmental and social performance of the store operations with the Sustainability Lead.
- Provide a luxurious customer experience
- Maintain a friendly, welcoming and inclusive environment
- Greet customers warmly
- Teach customers bulk shopping etiquette
- Share knowledge of products and help customers brainstorm solutions to their problems
- Keep the shop orderly and well stocked to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations
WHO YOU ARE & HOW YOU APPROACH YOUR WORK:
- Previous experience in customer service, sales, or other related fields: customer service and retail skills are essential for this position
- Willingness to jump in and help others regardless of the task
- Ability to build personal rapport with community, customers, and our team
- Excitement to create world-class customer experiences
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiastic about learning and trying new things
- Punctual and dependable
POTENTIAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR FUTURE GROWTH:
- Help coordinate off-site events and represent Scoop Marketplace in the community
- Contribute to company blog and social media
- Step into a role specifically tailored to your strengths as the business grows and expands
- General Manager, with potential to manage multiple locations in the future
This role requires the ability to work cohesively within a team while maintaining your own, independent role, projects, and accountability of tasks and timeline. You will also be receiving guidance, support, and ideas from our team.
As you can see, this isn’t simply a job.
This is an opportunity to have your dream role fulfilling your calling to support our customers and partners, and living a fully expressed life doing what you love.
- Complete comfort working in person with our shop customers, as well as spending time at your computer communicating with our partners and completing admin work. You do well working independently from home and have strong boundaries.
- You’re an organizational genius. We communicate with dozens (if not hundreds) of people on a daily basis and our goal is to make every interaction with each of those individuals a happy one, which involves keeping detailed records and notes.
- Knowledge of, and interest in, sustainable living
- Upbeat, resourceful self-starter able to work in a dynamic environment with limited oversight.
- Random bullet point inserted to see if you’re paying attention. Put the secret code in your application. The secret code is: “teamwork makes the dream work”
- Extremely strong people skills… hopefully that’s been made clear by now!
Job Type: Full Time
Compensation starts at $20.00/hour, negotiable based on experience.
We are committed to being a beneficial presence in the community by working together to build a business that provides a luxury shopping experience, accessible to all.
As part of a team, you must be willing to collaborate with other team members to create a holiday schedule that works for everyone.
Note: you will not be expected to work all weekend, every weekend, but we do like to maintain a regular schedule so that our team and customers know what to expect and can depend on a consistent experience.
- Make sure to have the secret code handy. If you do not have the secret code, please reread this application.
- Create a letter or up to 3-minute video to tell us how you fit THIS job. Tell us what about this role would be a dream for you and why you’re the perfect candidate.
Click here to fill out the application and include a link to your letter or video (make sure it’s viewable by anyone).
**Scoop Marketplace is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels of our organization.